Rug Cleaning Tips
Rugs are a beautiful addition to a home, but without proper care and maintenance, they will begin to look old and worn. These rug cleaning tips will help to keep rugs looking new and extend their life significantly.
- Rotate rugs 180 degrees at least once a year. Rugs tend to wear unevenly when they are left in the same place. The sun also will fade the colors. Although both the sun and wear are inevitable, rotating the rug twice a year will extend the life of the rug and keep it looking nice for longer.
- Invest in a good-quality rug pad. These keep rugs from sliding around and also keep the rug on a cushioned surface. Recommended for all rug types, rug pads help to keep rugs looking new and unworn.
- Vacuum frequently. Dirt and dust become embedded in rugs easily and will begin to break down the rug fibers. Experts recommend vacuuming both the front and the back of the rug on a regular basis to remove any residual dirt. Try to do this every two weeks, although more frequently is recommended.
- Have the rug cleaned professionally once a year. Regular vacuums only do so much. Having the rug cleaned once a year will ensure that any small stains are removed, leading to a longer life for the rug. NYCleaners in New York can take care of all of your rug cleaning needs.
- Watch out for water. Rugs, especially wool ones, can be damaged by water and begin to milder. For smaller spots, blot the water with a dry towel and then set up a fan near the spot. If the entire rug is soaked due to a flood, take the rug immediately to a professional rug cleaner.
These five tips will help to keep a rug looking new for many years. A good quality rug can last for many years and with care, will continue to look nice.